Salary bands: £43,000 - £55,000 (depending on experience)
Location: United Kingdom (hybrid working)
Our hiring process varies depending on the role and the candidate, but these are roughly the steps you should expect:
- Phone screening (20min)
- Technical "take at home" assessment (depending on experience)
- Technical interview (60 min)
We are looking for a PHP Engineer of mid-level to senior experience to join our talented engineering team. We want people who are curious to learn and that can work on different e-commerce platforms including Magento2, Spryker, Sylius and the Symfony framework for a variety of client projects.
How you will spend your time
Your engineering duties will include requirements gathering and specification through to code design, implementation, debugging, deployment and support. Projects can vary from large and greenfield to smaller support and maintenance, usually on teams of between 5 and 20. In addition to your day-to-day development work you may be involved in pre-sales and marketing support.
Inviqa employees work across the UK and mainland Europe. We support both office and remote working, though you will likely start your employment working remotely. In such an environment clear and regular communication is key. You’ll be involved in regular project ceremonies including stand-ups, checkpoints, and retrospectives.
You will also get involved in wider community activities and events such as knowledge sharing sessions, code practices, and community discussions. We also host internal conferences (ICON) and hack days.
In future there may be occasional travel from your chosen office for client meetings, a team catch-up, or to celebrate successes with your remote colleagues.
What we want from you
At Inviqa we pride ourselves on cultivating a positive working environment, based around our values of Purpose, Human, Open, Together and Learning. As such, we’re looking for people who are:
- Passionate and proactive: you care about doing the best job possible and can make recommendations on our technical approach and how we work together.
- A team player: you love being part of a team and working towards common goals. You are approachable, empathetic towards your peers, and open-minded about their ideas.
- A good communicator: you can communicate clearly in English to your team and clients.
- Multi-tasker: The ability to context-switch, though we will try and minimise this so you can focus on your current tasks.
As a PHP Engineer you should have a good grasp of the language:
- You write code fully backed by tests
- You write object oriented code adhering to SOLID principles and sensibly implementing a variety of design patterns.
- You are up-to-date with the latest PHP8 language features
- You have worked with a PHP-based e-commerce platform - ideally Magento2, Sylius or Spryker.
We would also expect you to have:
- Previous commercial development experience, ideally within different working environments.
- Experience of working on a variety of projects of different sizes, durations using an Agile methodology.
For more about what we expect from our engineers and how we support engineering progression, see Inviqa’s Engineering Progression Framework.
At Inviqa we work on a wide variety of exciting client projects; there’s no single stack. However, these are the dominant tools we use and you could get the chance to work with:
Frameworks & Libs: Symfony | Node.js | React | Storybook
Platforms: Magento | Drupal | Spryker | Sylius | BigCommerce
Testing: Behat | PHPSpec | PHPUnit | Jest | Cypress
CI / CD: Docker | Scrutinizer | Blackfire | Codeship | Prometheus | ArgoCD | Jenkins
Hosting: AWS | DigitalOcean | Platform.sh | Acquia
See our Tech Radar for a more comprehensive list of technologies we are working with.
Although our work varies, we strive to build consistently high-quality products:
- We follow Agile principles through Scrum and Lean Kanban.
- We have Engineering Guidelines for best practices for all work throughout the department.
- We write tests for our code; it’s second-nature.
- We have a constructive peer review process for all work.
- Our DevOps team ensures we have automation throughout the development lifecycle with dynamic environments, automated tests, code quality checks, and performance metrics.
You’ll be part of a friendly supportive team who are dedicated to creating amazing customer experiences. You will be supported to develop your skills and experience both through our dedicated training budget, the chance to attend/present at relevant conferences, and through our internal conference, ICON. We offer a genuinely flexible working environment, 25 days holiday, pension scheme, great offices and a company full of fantastic people.
At Inviqa, we craft digital experiences that change the game for our clients and their customers.
Our teams combine strategy, customer insight, and technology engineering to help brands like Tesco, Reiss, and Arsenal FC to rapidly solve customer problems and achieve their goals faster.
We’re a team of around 150 strategists, designers, technologists – and everything in between. And with offices across the UK, Germany and Hungary, we’re a local agency with global reach. Our vision is to create the best possible experiences for each other, our clients and their customers.
You must be eligible to take up full-time permanent employment in the UK.